Thursday, August 16, 2012

Recipe: Shrimp Stir Fry

 I love stir fries.  They're so quick and easy and you can't really mess it up.  I think the hardest part of this whole thing was finding the noodles! 

Lately, I've been putting more seafood into the mix.  This time, I tried shrimp.  It was insanely good.  The BF even liked it, and before he never cared for shrimp.  Maybe it's because I only buy shrimp that's already deveined.  I think it was the "poop shute" that freaked him out.  Who am I kidding?  It kind of freaks me out too!


This recipe is based off one from Jamie Oliver.  I tweaked it quite a bit.  The recipe is really easy to play with.  I didn't really measure anything out.  I knew what kind of flavors I liked, so I went from there.

Shrimp Stir Fry
ginger, grated (I used ginger powder)
garlic, chopped (I used minced garlic)
red chile pepper, finely sliced
fresh cilantro, chopped
peanut or vegetable oil
1 lb shrimp (I used frozen and did a quick thaw)
2 spoonfuls of Chinese five-spice powder
about 2 tsp cornstarch
baby corn
handful of snow peas
about 1/4 c soy sauce
little bit of teriyaki sauce and sriracha (personal preference)
juice from 1 lime
spoonful of honey
about 1 tsp sesame oil
handful of frozen peas
about 14 oz pkg of rice sticks or vermicelli
handful of beansprouts

Preheat a wok or large pan on high heat.  Once it's really hot, add a lug or two of the peanut or veggie oil and swirl it around.  Stir in the cilantro, ginger, garlic, chile pepper, shrimp and five-spice powder, and fry for about a minute.  Add the cornstarch, baby corn, and snow peas and give them a good toss and stir fry another minute.  Stir in the soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, sriracha, lime juice, honey, sesame oil and the frozen peas.

Add the rice sticks to a boiling pot of water.  I used a wooden spoon to break up the noodles in the water.  Cook for 2 minutes, no longer!  Drain.  Once the shrimp was fully cooked, I stirred the noodles into the shrimp and veggie mix.  If you want to serve the shrimp on top of the noodles, just put a spoonful of the liquid the noodles cooked in, into the pan with the shrimp and cook until the shrimp is done and the peas are thawed.

Before serving, I sprinkled the bean sprouts and cilantro on top. 

Nom, noms!!


No comments:

Post a Comment