Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Cream of Tomato Soup

Sometimes, I just crave a grilled cheese and tomato soup.  But it can't be any tomato soup.  I particularly don't like many canned tomato soups.  They taste like ketchup and water to me.  I'm a fan of thick and creamy soups.  Soups that can fill you up.  I found a recipe by Jamie Oliver that suited my tastes.  It's thick, creamy, and easy.  And it goes so well with my grilled cheese (that I load up with cheese by the way).  Essentially, you heat a big can of tomatoes, onions, flour and cream together in a pot and sprinkle chives on top when ready to eat.


Cream of Tomato Soup
from Jamie Oliver

28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 c minced onion
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp flour
1/4 c heavy cream
chopped chives

-You can either puree the tomatoes or leave them be.  I left mine be.
-Heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and season with salt and pepper.  Saute until the onions are soft but not brown.
-Make a roux by adding the flour and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
-Add the tomatoes and cream.  Re-season with salt and pepper of you wish.  Stir to combine everything.
-Cover and bring to a simmer.  Heat for however long you want to wait.
-Garnish with chives before you eat.


No comments:

Post a Comment