Monday, July 2, 2012

DIY Flag Shirt

So I've been seeing these flag tank tops around the internet, thought they were cute and decided to do one for my own.  After seeing a couple of websites on the how-to, I kinda just winged it.  All you need:  stars, white t-shirt (one size bigger than you normally wear), painter's tape, and blue and red spray paint.



I used clipart for my stars.   


Tape down the stars and line your shirt with the tape to resemble a flag.


Let it dry for a couple of hours.

I cut off the sleeves and the bottom seam and cut around the neck.

After washing (I hand washed this at first, then again in the machine), use stretched scrap strips from the sleeve to tie the back.


And you have yourself a cute shirt!

Before tying the back, I also pulled and stretched out the cut shirt to make it look more worn and to curl the edges.  The best shirt to use is one with a thin material.  The back will bunch up, so the stiffer and thicker the shirt, the more it'll bunch up and stick out.    

This is a great way to repurpose those too big tshirts or the ones with the pit stains (don't lie, we all have them) that you just can't get rid of.

The BF and I plan on going to Washington DC for the fourth and I can't wait to wear it.  It's supposed to be in the high 90's so this'll be light enough to wear. 



Stay classy,
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment