Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Recipe Review: Honey Lime Chicken Skewers

Kabobs is such a fun word.  Ka-bob.  Ha.  The weirdest things amuse me.

This was my first attempt at kabobs (giggle).  I'm a little clumsy, so I got nervous thinking about skewering meat onto a sharp stick.  Meat.  Sharps.  Stab finger.  Gets uncooked meat juice into stab wound.  Gets salmonella.  Goes to hospital.  That scenario was always in the back of my mind when thinking of making kabobs.  But I saw this recipe on Kitchen Meets Girl, I couldn't resist.  I bought the first pack of bamboo skewers I saw. 



I love grilled onions, so in between the chicken pieces, I added 2 slices of onion.  I also didn't have fresh cilantro, so I just used the freeze dried version.  Serve this with rice and you're golden.  How I ate it:  pulled the meat and onions of the stick with a fork and mixed it all with the rice.  How he ate it:  right off the stick...like a savage.  Gotta love him :)

And remember, if you use bamboo skewers, soak them in water for about 5 minutes.  Surprisingly, I didn't find this out the hard way, but I heard not pre-treating the sticks will cause them to burn...like wood.

Honey Lime Chicken Skewers

3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp vegetable oil
juice of one lime
2 minced garlic cloves
Siracha, to taste 
red pepper flakes, to taste
2 tbsp cilantro
1 lb skinless and boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces

In a small bowl, combine your ingredients, through the cilantro. Mix thoroughly.

Pour marinade over chicken breasts and turn to coat. Cover and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour.

Grill on medium high heat for 6 to 8 minutes per side, until juices run clear.  Serve!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment