Saturday, September 8, 2012

Comics, Burritos and the Amish: Part II

Continued from Part I.

After finding 2 new places we were feeling adventurous.  Near Baja Fresh there was an REI.  I've heard alot about that place, so I had to go in.  Although a great store, I still prefer Bass Pro Shop, just out of the utter size.  There's more things to look out.  But since it's a place that will take money from a shopaholic, I gladly contributed to their corporate profits and added to my wardrobe :)

 
To continue on our adventure bug, the BF and I went back home a different way.  And if we never would've went this way we wouldn't have discovered these two places:  1) ANOTHER Baja Fresh, which I think is a little unfair that there were 2 locations near one another, when there isn't even one close to us anymore... and 2) a Pennsylvania Dutch Market, which is a smorgasbord of little shops operated by mainly the Pennsylvania Dutch inside this big building. 
 
Despite having just eaten a large lunch, the smells in the Dutch Market made me want to eat everything.  As soon you walk in, there's a stand for roasted nuts.  O.M.G.  Then there's a shop for donuts...right across another shop for baked goods.  They had shops for amish made furniture and jewelry and crafts.  The meats looked really fresh and the produce were down right obscene with how good they looked.  There were tables, so you could grab some lunch from one of the shops and eat it there.  But I think my favorite out of the whole place was their collection of sprinkles.  OMFG.  Now back in July, I had an exhausting experience with finding red, white and blue sprinkles.  Well, if I had known about this little mecca (is that okay to say since this is an Amish market?) my efforts wouldn't have been wasted.  Every single color, every type of sprinkle, and every holiday/season/occasion.  And there were bulk packages of the common baking ingredients (sugar, flour, corn syrup, chocolate, etc).  Who would've thought that the Amish is serious about their desserts.
 
Despite being full to my wits with burrito, we had to go home with something.  Chocolate chip cookies, donuts and whoopie pies.
 

 
 
 
 
The donuts and cookies were so different than what we were used to.  I'm sure the Amish ones are less processed and with simpler ingredients.  And the whoopie pies were amazing.  They reminded me of homemade versions of Oreo cakesters.  Nom, nom.
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment