Sunday, March 17, 2013

Shamrock Shake Cupcakes w/ White Chocolate Frosting

Top of the morning...errr...afternoon to you.

St. Patrick's Day.  The only day you can get away with looking like a little green man looking for that pot of gold.  It's also another excuse to get drunk, because, you know, apparently all the Irish do is drink and fight.

For me, it's an excuse to bake.

I love McDonald's Shamrock Milkshakes.  It might be the novelty of being available for a couple of weeks a year, but I always look forward to February because I know they'll start being offered.  And then April hits, and the shakes go away.  I know there's copycat recipes floating around that I have yet to try.  Until then, McD's Shamrock Shakes will have a place in my heart.

So when I saw a recipe for Shamrock Shake Cupcakes from Better Homes and Garden, I stopped what I was doing, immediately printed off the recipe, and checked my pantry.  Unfortunately, I didn't have some of the ingredients on hand, so I had to wait til I did my grocery shopping, which was only the next day.


The cupcake itself wasn't too sweet and had a slight mint flavor (I don't think I added enough).  The white chocolate buttercream frosting was sweet so it balanced with the cupcake.  Overall, pretty good I must say.  The recipe calls for Creme de Menthe, but I didn't feel like buying it just for the little bit I needed, so I used milk, mint extract and green food coloring.  I also cut the recipe in half since I didn't want 20 cupcakes.



Shamrock Shake Cupcakes w/ White Chocolate Frosting
from Recipe.com (Better Homes and Garden recipe)

Ingredients:
Remember, cut this in half if you don't want 20 cupcakes
Cupcakes
4 egg whites
2 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c buttermilk
1/4 c green creme de menthe <-- Since I cut the recipe in half and didn't have this on hand, I used 4 tbsp milk, 1/2 tsp mint extract (I'd recommend adding more) and green food coloring til I got a deep green color.
1/2 c shortening
1 3/4 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
green food coloring

White Chocolate Frosting
2 sticks softened butter
6 oz white baking chocolate with cocoa butter <--- This is important.  Look at the ingredients.  The consistency won't come out right if it doesn't have cocoa butter.  I used Bakers chocolate.
1/3 c whipping cream
powdered sugar
green food coloring

-Allow the egg whites to stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes.  In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, soda and salt.  In a glass bowl, combine the buttermilk and creme de menthe.
-Preheat the oven to 350.  In another bowl, beat the shortening for about 30 seconds.  Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy.  Beat in the vanilla.  Add the egg whites and beat well.  Alternately add the flour mix and the buttermilk mix, a little each time, and beating until everything is just combined.
-Spoon the batter into cupcake liners, about two thirds full.
-Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the tops spring back when lightly touched.  Cool the cupcakes completely on wire racks.
-Melt the white chocolate and whipping cream together and stir until smooth.  Let it sit for about 15 minutes. Gradually beat the butter into the melted mixture until combined.  Gradually beat in powdered sugar until you have the icing consistency you want.  And this where I added a drop or two of the food coloring.



Happy St. Patrick's Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment