Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Breaking Bad

I just want to go on the record and say how much I love this show.

The BF and I spent the last couple of months catching up on the seasons.  It is by far, one of, if not my favorite show ever.

Quick recap for those that have never seen this.  Walt, a high school chemistry teacher, gets diagnosed with cancer.  Needing a way to pay for treatments and to leave his family with enough money to be comfortable after he dies, Walt enlists help from a former student and druggie, Jesse, to get into methaphetamine production.  Since he's a chemistry teacher, Walt is able to make the purest form of meth and uses Jesse to get it distributed.  And that's how the series starts.  Oh, and Walt's brother-in-law...is a DEA agent.  Yup.

As the seasons progress, the storyline gets more intense and complex.  All I'm going to say is that by season 4, this quiet chemistry teacher becomes a badass that you don't wanna mess with.

I also love how there's a reference to Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs.  The main characters are Walter "White" and Jesse "Pink"man, with Jesse always calling Walt "Mr. White."  And there's a scene where the two share breakfast at a diner after disposing of a body.  Sound familiar? 

Another thing that I love about the series is the way the camera films in some of the scenes.  There's a scene when Jesse is waiting around at a pickup spot and just the way it's shot is so visually appealing.

I used to watch Malcolm in the Middle and always thought Bryan Cranston's character was such a dummy...in a funny way.  But I applaud him as Walt.  He's able to play the awkward science nerd, the family man, and the really scary leader of a drug trade all in a single episode.

I'm so sad that the series is ending this summer.  I think the writers have been pretty consistent, so I'm hoping they'll be able to successfully wrap up the storyline.


Top favorite shows as of now:
Breaking Bad
Walking Dead
Game of Thrones
Dexter

Edit:  I forgot to add...
Modern Family




No comments:

Post a Comment