Sunday, December 2, 2012

Recipe Review: Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas with Jalapeno Cream Sauce

For the last couple of weeks, I've been spending alot of my free time studying for my environmental chemistry class, which is now over by the way!  I thought it was going to be an easy peasy class, but I was proven wrong.  HARDEST. CLASS. EVER.  I needed to take one more chemistry class in order to be eligible for a promotion at work.  I saw this online class through an accredited university and paid for the class myself.  The class and grades composed of 3 tests, 50 questions total.  In order to pass, I needed 30 out of the 50 questions right.  The questions were supposed to be out of the book, but alas, they weren't.  I brought my questions to work and even my co-workers, who some have a chemistry degree were drawing blanks with the questions.  The BF saw my tests and later got a headache.  I BARELY passed the class, but I don't care because I get the credits and am done with it.

Anyway, to the enchiladas.  I'm gradually growing a liking to cooking seafood.  For some reason, it intimates me.  But this recipe from Pearls, Handcuffs, and Happy Hour, not so much.  I combined shrimp with our other favorite, enchiladas!!!  And the sauce, oh my!  It was so good.  We're used to having a red enchilada sauce, but this sauce made out chicken broth was so savory, it worked well with the shrimp.

The filling.  Yes, those are carrots and spinach.  Weird, huh?  The carrots add a great crunch that needed to be there.
The sauce.
The finished product with some Spanish rice.


Roasted Shrimp Enchiladas with Jalapeno Cream Sauce 

1 lb. medium sized shrimp, peeled and deveined - I just used a thawed bag of frozen shrimp and removed the tails
2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, diced
1 to 1 1/2 c. matchstick carrots - I used about a handful and that was enough (you can also julienne them yourself, but I opted to just buy them already cut)
1 bag of baby spinach
2 tbsp. chipotle pepper in adobo sauce - I used all the sauce from the can as well as 1 diced chipotle (according to your heat preference use the chipotle and sauce accordingly!)
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
flour tortillas - I prefer flour but you could totally use corn tortillas
shredded Monterrey jack cheese

Jalapeno Cream Sauce
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 c chicken broth
3/4 c sour cream
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro - I didn't have fresh, so I used a couple good shakes of dried cilantro

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Put the shrimp in a bag.  Shake them up with 1 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper.  Put them on a baking sheet (lined or sprayed) and roast for 6-8 minutes or until they're pink and firm.  Depending on the size of the shrimp, you can chop them up into smaller pieces, I was lazy and left mine alone.

Lower the oven to 375.  Heat the rest of the olive oil in a pan and add the garlic and onion.  Cook them for about 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent and a little soft.  Toss in the carrots, spinach, chipotle with sauce, oregano and cayenne.  Cook until the spinach is wilted.  Add the shrimp and toss well.  Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.

In a saucepan, melt the butter and then whisk in the flour until it's lightly browned.  Add the broth and cook for a couple of minutes.  Add the jalapenos and garlic powder and let it simmer until the sauce thickens.  Add salt and pepper, remove heat and add the cilantro.

Fill the tortillas with the shrimp filling and shredded cheese and put them in a 9x13 dish.  Once they're all in the pan, pour half of the sauce over the enchiladas.  Bake for about 20 minutes.  When done, you can pour the rest of the sauce over the whole dish, or spoon the sauce over each enchilada once they're on the plate.








No comments:

Post a Comment