Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Spicy Bean and Rice Burritos

I don't normally make meatless dinners.  I love meaty protein.  When I came across this recipe, it called to me.  I couldn't resist.  I love anything chipotle.  I love burritos.  And I love spicy.

I actually made alot of mistakes while cooking this.  I used a whole can of chipotle because I thought,"  Hey, we love spicy food, and the recipe doesn't seem like it has enough.  Let's add more!"  Yea, I'm gonna end that by saying if you aren't a fan of sweating  and having a runny nose while you eat, I don't recommend using a whole can of chipotle.  I am a fan of feeling the burn while I eat, so I was okay with the heat.

I also wasn't paying attention and made double the rice.  So there was ALOT of burrito filling.  To compensate, I added more salsa to keep the rice from drying out.  The filling pretty much turned out to be Mexican rice, but it still worked in the burrito.  One last thing, I didn't want to buy another pack of tortillas since I had fajita size ones.  Because of my laziness, we had very small burritos.  Still really good though!

Now, because I was mad my burritos didn't look right and that I messed up with the rice/bean ratio, I didn't take pictures.  And you have need to make these.  To persuade you even more, I'm using the picture from the site I got the recipe from.

Spicy Bean and Rice Burritos
(from A Bitchin Kitchen)

1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 pepper from a can of chipotles in adobo, minced (I used the full can, which will be really spicy for the average person!)1 tablespoon sauce from a can of chipotles in adobo
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Several dashes cayenne pepper
1/3 cup water
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup fresh salsa

Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, chili powder, chipotle, adobo sauce, cumin, and cayenne. Cook briefly until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds. Add in drained and rinsed beans, and water. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to medium-low and cook for 8 minutes, mashing the bean mixture slightly. Remove from heat, and stir in rice and salsa.

Put the mixture in the tortillas and top with whatever burrito toppings your heart desires!



from A Bitchin Kitchen
You know you want this.  I won't tell anyone...



Stay classy,
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment