Saturday, February 4, 2012

Happy Birthday!!

Today is the BF's 27th birthday.  We're keeping it low key.  All he really wants to do is go to Baja Fresh and go to the movies to see Chronicle.  So far, he's spent the day plaing video games.  Whatever he wants, it's his day. 

Him playing video games and being out of the kitchen has given me an opportunity to work on his cake.  I've kind of started this little tradition where I suprise him with a cake.  One of his favorite foods are tacos, so last year I made...a taco cake!  It took a little bit of creativity, but I got it done.

I mixed cookie crumbs into the white fondant to give the brown spots that are normally in flour tortillas.


I used half the chocolate batter for a round cake and the rest for cupcakes. I cut the round cake in half, frosted with chocolate icing and put them into the fondant "tortillas." I crumbled the cupcakes to resemble the ground beef and covered the rest of the round cake inside. 
The toppings were made out of fruit rollups and starbursts.
And the "taco sauce" was red icing.

As awesome as it looked, it didn't have the greatest taste.  I wasn't a fan of the sugary fondant. 

So this year, I'm leaning towards a better flavor with a simpler design.  It's a chocolate cake with vanilla frosting....with a suprise!



Stay classy my friends,
Heidi




No comments:

Post a Comment