Thursday, February 16, 2012

Being Mini Just Makes Them Even Better

"Mini" means you can eat more!  Well, not really.  But if you can stop at just one, then that's pretty good portion control.

Anyway, Valentine's Day came and went.  I am personally not a fan of this holiday.  I think it's way too commercialized.  Why show that you love someone just one day of the year, why not every day?  I feel the BF and I's anniversary is more special.  Our night was spent eating pizza and watching Dexter, which I think was a fantastic night.

Valentine's Day did give me a reason to make dessert though!  I saw it on Pinterest and just couldn't resist.  Red velvet, cheesecake, and mini...a perfect combination. 


Mini Red Velvet Cheesecakes 

24 thin chocolate wafer cookies, crushed (about 1 1/4 c)
3 tbsp butter, melted
2-8 oz pkgs cream cheese + 4 oz, softened
1 c sugar
1/4 c unsweetened baking cocoa
2 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp red food color (I only had 1 tbsp)
3 eggs

1/2 c whipping cream
1 tbsp sugar (I used powdered)

Heat oven to 350°F. Place foil baking cup in each of 16 regular-size muffin cups. In small bowl, mix cookie crumbs and melted butter. Divide crumb mixture among cups. With back of spoon, firmly press cookie crumbs in bottom of each foil cup.

In large bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually beat in 1 cup granulated sugar and the cocoa until fluffy. Beat in vanilla and food color. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Divide batter evenly among baking cups (cups will be almost full).

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until centers are firm. Cool 15 minutes (cheesecake centers will sink while cooling). Refrigerate in baking cups at least 1 hour; cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour longer before serving.

In chilled small bowl, beat whipping cream and sugar with electric mixer on high speed until stiff. Spoon whipped cream on chilled cheesecakes. Just before serving, garnish with chocolate curls. Cover and refrigerate any remaining cheesecakes.

This is the picture from the Betty Crocker website.  They look so...professional.

This is my version (that I took with my cell phone, so the picture quality isn't the greatest!)  I had leftover red sprinkles from Christmas that I ended up using.

Oh my, these were so good.  As I've gotten older, I've become more sensitive to excessive sugar, but these weren't too sweet.  The BF, who doesn't normally like cheesecakes, even ate it...and finished it.  After having these in the kitchen for 2 days, I had to get rid of these bad boys...so I brought them to work.  My co-workers approved!!


Stay classy my friends,
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment