Sunday, January 1, 2012

K is for Kimchi

Courtesy:  wikibooks.org

Yummm!!!!!!

Dr Oz. gives kimchi his seal of approval.  If you don't know, kimchi is pretty much a vegetable that's fermented in spices.  It sounds disgusting, and I think it is a bit of an aquired taste.  There are also variations of kimchi.  My mother, who is Korean, makes an awesome cucumber kimchi.  That's what I grew up on.  Put some of that with rice, and MMMM, I was in heaven for a few minutes.  Traditional cabbage kimchi, I wasn't always a fan of.  It wasn't until recently when I started eating at a local Korean restaurant that I fell in love with it.

Lately, I've been cooking a lot from Jaden Hair's Steamy Kitchen, both her site and cookbook.  I've found bunches of her recipes that have been delicious, easy and fast.  I stumbled upon a recipe that I already had ingredients for, so no need for the store, which is my kind of recipe!  This particular one had two of my almost favorite foods:  fried rice and kimchi.  I couldn't find the recipe on the website, but it is in her cookbook the Steamy Kitchen Cookbook

*Note:  I've learned from various sources throughout my recent years that the best fried rice is used with leftover rice that was in the fridge.  The rice dries out in the fridge, but when it's fried, the moisture goes back into the rice, leaving an amazing fried rice.

Korean Kimchi Fried Rice
Serves 4
(I cut this recipe in half since it was just two of us) 

4 c. previously chilled cooked rice
2 tbsp high-heat cooking oil
1/2 c diced red bell pepper
1/4 c chopped green onions
1 tbsp finely minced garlic
Chopped kimchi
1 tbsp soy sauce
1-2 tsp kimchi juice
(I didn't have much in the jar, so I also put in some Sriracha sauce)
1/2 tsp salt
4 eggs

With a fork, gently separate the grains of rice.

Set a pan or wok over high heat.  When hot, add 1 tbsp of the oil and swirl to coat.  Add the bell pepper and green onion and fry for 15 seconds.  Add the garlic and fry for another 30 seconds.

Add the rice, toss with all the ingredients, and spread the mixture out all over the cooking surface.  Let fry, untouched for 1 minute.  Add the kimchi, soy sauce, kimchi juice and salt. Toss very well to mix all the ingredients.  Again, spread the rice out all over the cooking surface and let fry, untouched for 1 minute.  Repeat the tossing, spreading and 1 minute frying until each and every grain of rice is heated through.  Taste and adjust with additional soy sauce if needed.

Dish out the fried rice, rinse the pan and dry thoroughly.  Return the wok to high heat.  When the wok is hot, add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil and swirl to coat.  Crack the eggs into the wok and let fry for 1 minute.  Then turn the heat to medium-low and continue to fry the eggs until the whites are completely set and the yolks are still runny.  (The BF and I aren't fans of runny eggs, so I just fried them and it worked out great!) 

Top each portion of fried rice with an egg and garnish with additional kimchi.

~~~~~~~~

Now, I wish the recipe was on her site because my picture looks nothing like the pretty picture Jaden took of her dish.  It actually doesn't look nearly as appetizing, but looks are deceiving because it was so good!!!
You can kinda see the egg under there!  Also note my kitchen must have, Sriracha sauce (specifically the one with the rooster)!!!

Stay classy my friends,
Heidi


No comments:

Post a Comment