Saturday, November 3, 2012

30 Before 30: Do an Obstacle Course Challenge

I can finally cross something else off my "Before 30" bucket list.

Last weekend, the BF and I not only did our first race, it was an obstacle race...with zombies.


I heard about their inaugural race last year, and I had to sign us up for the following year.  It also kick started our fitness motivation.  Here's the concept for Run For Your Lives.  It's a 5K, filled with various obstacles at about every quarter to half mile, with "zombies" throughout.  The "zombie's" goal is to get your "life flag" that you, as a runner, wear flag football style around your waist.  If you make it past the finish with at least one flag, you've survived the zombie apocalypse.  If you come out of it without a flag, you'll turn into a zombie.  But, huzzah!  There's a free beer waiting for you at the end!  As well as an apocalypse party with live music and food!  And every finisher gets a medal and tshirt.

Some of the obstacles included were:  a couple of walls to jump over, a freezing cold lake to swim across, a couple of trenches to climb in and out of, some tunnels, a maze, electrified fences, barbed wires to crawl under, a crazy steep hill, a slide into a "pool of blood," and of course, mud everywhere.  This race is all over the country, so each course is different depending on the terrain of the location.  And if you don't wanna run, no problem, sign up to be a zombie and you'll get a professional makeup job and get placed on the course, with access to the after party.

We had so much fun, and I'm hyped to do another one.  It was the most physically demanding (which, with my current fitness level, that isn't saying much).  Our finish time wasn't the greatest and it showed how much more I need to go to get fit, but I'm totally looking forward to it next time.

Oh, and we had the best shirts ever.  Mine said "Korean Fast Food."  And his said, "High in Fiber."  Ha, I'm so clever sometimes, and apparently others agreed because we got alot of compliments.  I'm pretty much amazing because of them.... :)













We even went into the race with the same strategy, which ended up fizzling out pretty early on.  In the end, we didn't survive.  I guess we didn't have what it takes to live through the apocalypse.  Next time...


THE END.


No comments:

Post a Comment