Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Butternut Squash and Chorizo Quesadilas

I love a good Mexican meal.  I also love finger food.  And that brings me to quesadillas.  There's just something about a crisp tortilla filled with meat and cheese.  It makes me all warm inside...

Lauren's Latest had this amazing idea.  Butternut squash and mexican pork.  What!?  Before, I've never ventured away from chicken and/or beef quesadillas and I'm ridiculously happy I did.  It wasn't until recently that I've even started using chorizo.  Let me tell you, it is AMAZING.  I don't care what body part of the pig it is, because it is delicious.

This recipe has a good blend of spicy from the meat and sweet from the squash.  On this particular recipe run, I think my squash-to-meat ratio was a little off (but still lick-your-plate good), so I'm going to try less squash next time.

Quick recipe:
Roast cut up butternut squash pieces.  Cook chorizo.  Add sliced onions and black beans.  Add spices.  Mix in the roasted squash.  Butter a pan and top a tortilla with cheese and this stuff.  Add cheese and top with another tortilla.  Make your quesadilla!





Longer recipe:
Butternut Squash and Chorizo Quesadillas
(adapted from Lauren's Latest)

1 small butternut squash, peeled & diced into small cubes (about 2 cups)
olive oil
salt & pepper
12 oz. package pork chorizo
1 small onion, sliced
1 large garlic clove, minced
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
cumin (I eyeballed it)
shredded cheddar cheese (I like my quesadillas really gooey and unhealthy, so it's up to you for how much you want to use)medium size tortillas
butter
sour cream, guacamole, salsa

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss butternut squash with olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake 15-20 minutes or until softened.

Unwrap the chorizo and break apart in a hot skillet. Cook chorizo until the texture starts to resemble ground beef (I had to cut my chorizo into small pieces so mine never resembled ground beef).  Remove the chorizo to a paper towel lined bowl and set aside. If there’s a lot of extra grease from the chorizo, wipe out the pan.

Saute onions in a pan with olive oil. Once the onions start to soften, stir in garlic and cook another 2 minutes. Stir in the cooked chorizo, roasted squash, beans and cumin. Set aside.
To assemble quesadillas, preheat large skillet over medium heat. Melt butter and place a tortilla into the pan. Top with cheese, filling, and more cheese. Top with another tortilla. Flip once the tortilla has browned. Brown the other side of the quesadilla and remove from the heat. Stand 3 minutes and slice into wedges. Serve with sour cream, salsa and guacamole.



Stay classy,
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment