Thursday, March 20, 2014

30 Before 30: Pay For a Stranger's Groceries


At the time, I completely forgot this was on my bucket list and didn't do this just because it was on there.

I just came out of ALDI (which is a great store by the way) and was loading the groceries into my car.  A woman approaches me and starts crying.  She's telling me how she lives in the motel next door with her kid, she just went over to the food pantry charity and they were closed, she's in between jobs, she's trying to do right by her kid, everyone she's asked for help has called her trash and to get lost, and she just wants some money to buy her kid food.  While she's saying all this stuff to me, out of the corner of my eye, I see this little toddler size kid hiding behind her. 

I was about to give her money, but then I decided against it.  I wasn't 100% sure if the money I'd give her go to food.  I hate to say it, but there are people here that have no problem begging for money in order to buy alcohol or drugs.  That's just the way it is.  I think it was seeing this scared little boy that made me change my mind.  I didn't want this kid to go hungry.

So I put the rest of stuff in the car.  I told the woman I don't have any cash (I lied) but that I would go back inside the store and come back with something for them.  So back to ALDI I went.  I got some bread, pb&j, granola bars, lunch meat, milk, fruit chews, canned food and other nonperishables.  I assumed they didn't have a car so I had to limit what I got to fit in one paper bag. 

When I came out, the woman was asking other people for money.  I approached her and gave her the bag of food.  She at first was very suprised and then looked like she was about to cry.  She said thank you and God bless and wanted to give me a hug.  I politely declined (I don't like any stangers hugging me) and walked to my car.  As I was driving away, I had to pass her and the boy.  I saw the boy look in the bag and give a huge grin.  And that was one of the most gratified I've ever felt.

I was kind of hesitant of posting this experience on the blog.  I don't want to make it seem like I'm holier than thou for helping someone in a bad spot.  I was just doing my part as a human being.

And just because I crossed it off my bucket list doesn't mean I'm going to write it off and never do it again.

And who knows, maybe this woman was playing me the whole time just to score some drug money.  But at least she got some free food instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment