Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Lazy Sunday...

I wish. 

Fact or Faked is on an April Fool's SyFy marathon all day and as much as I would love to just veg out and geek out, I can't.  I just got back from the grocery store, which is usually an hour ordeal and then not even counting the prep work before the trip (I clip coupons and organize my grocery list).  Then, I promised myself I would run for about an hour (gotta train for that race in October!)  Then, I have to clean our bathroom that's gotten pretty sad lately, at least the toilet and shower.  Then I wanted to go through some of my old tshirts and cut up the gross undershirts and re-purpose them for cleaning rags.  Then, I need to fix dinner for when the BF gets home (Lemon and Dill Baked Salmon w/ Roasted Broccoli!)

Looking back at what I just said, I guess I don't have THAT much to do.  I'll be able to veg out when the BF gets home, but still, I just want to be lazy...

Today is April Fool's Day as well.  A small part of me wanted to send mine and the BF's parents a card saying "Congrats, you're gonna be grandparents!"  :)  But then, karma might bite me in the butt
:(   It would've been funny though...

Yesterday, I made another manly breakfast, well, semi-manly.  Bits of sausage, bacon, ham, green peppers, onions all mixed with scrambled eggs, and topped with...wait for it...warmed sauerkraut.  Since the BF already ate at this point, I had this all to myself.  Served with toast and some french roast coffee, it was a good start to any Saturday (well, it was already afternoon by this point, but I don't fully wake up til about noon anyway).  There were leftovers, so the BF got to experience this breakfast this morning. 

Oh yea, I also made this awesome Chinese Broccoli Beef Noodle Stir Fry from Steamy Kitchen.  I couldn't find Chinese Broccoli, so I ended up using regular broccoli florets, but it still tasted good!

I took a picture, but I didn't realize the shot was blurry until I saw it on the computer.  With that said, I'm using one from the Steamy Kitchen site. 
 Mine DID NOT look like this at all, so maybe it was best that my shot came out blurry...


Chinese Broccoli Beef Noodle Stir Fry
from Steamy Kitchen

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 tablespoons Shaoxing wine, sake (rice wine) or dry white wine (I used sweetened Mirin)
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon tapioca starch or cornstarch
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
1 pound beef sirloin, thinly sliced
1 pound fresh or 10 ounces dried noodles
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 large garlic cloves, crushed and finely chopped
1 1/4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 pound Chinese broccoli or regular common broccoli, cut into bite-size chunks or florets
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
-In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon each soy sauce, oyster sauce and rice wine. Add the sugar and continue to whisk until completely dissolved. Stir in the cornstarch and continue stirring until smooth. Add the sesame oil and beef, and mix well. Marinate for 20 minutes. Drain and discard the excess marinade.
-Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the noodles until 1 minute shy of done and drain. (We'll finish cooking the noodles at the end)
-Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a skillet or wok over high heat and stir-fry the garlic until fragrant, about 1o seconds. Add the beef and stir-fry until tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
-Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and when hot, add the Chinese broccoli, stir frying so that the oil coats the Chinese broccoli. Pour in the 1/4 cup of the stock, turn the heat to medium-low and cover with a tight fitting lid. Cook the Chinese broccoli until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer the Chinese broccoli to the same plate.
-Add the remaining cup of stock and the remaining 2 tablespoons each of soy sauce, oyster sauce, and rice wine to the same skillet and bring to a boil over
high heat.
-Add the noodles and cook until the liquid has almost completely evaporated, leaving the noodles lightly moistened,2 to 3 minutes. Return the beef and broccoli to the skillet and toss to mix the ingredients thoroughly. Season with pepper to taste and serve.



Stay classy,
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment