Thursday, January 9, 2014

30 Before 30: Learn to Sew

I can cross something else on my list!
 
I actually did this back in September and never got around to mentioning it til now. 
 
We took the dog to the beach and for the roadtrip, I wanted a seat cover.  But I didn't want to use any of the ones I saw in stores.  Then I figured this would be an easy first time sewing project.  Off to the fabric stores I went.
 
I ended up finding clearance outdoor fabric for $6/yard.  Heck yes!  Outdoor fabric is meant to used as upholstery for outdoor furniture, so they're a little durable and easier to wipe off than other fabrics.  And the design was way cuter than those plain ole covers I was seeing commercially.  I mean, my dog has to have some class.
 
After purchasing 2 yards of fabric, thread, and bungee straps, I spent around $20.  Not too bad.
 
First, I hemmed up all the sides to get rid of the frayed edges.  Then I sewed the straps into loops on one side.  On the opposite side, I folded over the top and sewed additonal straps, so all I have to do is drape that side over the top of the back seat.
 
And that was it. 
 
 


Now Gypsy can sit in my backseat with her dirty little paws and not stain my upholstery.  This also prevents her from falling onto the floor everytime I turn or brake, which she did all the time. 

This was a good beginner project.  I winged it without measuring anything out and had a problem aligining the straps.  But the design on the fabric was forgiving and hid my uneven stitching and mess ups. 

And since then, I've had other uses with my sewing machine.  I've fixed hems and holes, so, yep, I can say I know how to sew!

No comments:

Post a Comment