Saturday, March 3, 2012

Sloppy Joe Casserole

I love sloppy joes.  I did a little twist of it earlier this week.  I adapted the recipe from a cookbook that I wish I could remember the name of, so if anyone knows, please tell me so I can give the credit deserved for this awesome recipe.

Sloppy Joe Casserole
Makes 8 servings

*The amounts of each ingredient are a good starting point, but I usually eye ball alot of it and add less or more of each depending on my taste
4 tbsp olive oil
2 chopped onions
2 cloves minced garlic
2 lbs ground beef
1c ketchup + 1c bbq sauce (the original recipe called for 2 cups of ketchup, but I prefer even amounts of both ketchup and bbq sauce)
4 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp chili powder (I had Mexican chile powder on hand)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
*I also added a little bit of brown sugar for a sweeter overall taste.  I normally don't if the BBQ sauce already has it.)
salt and pepper, to taste (which I forgot this time and didn't even notice in the end)
2 handfuls of shredded cheese
1-2 tbsp melted butter
1 pkg premade dinner roll dough (I used a can of Pillsbury Grands!)
sesame seeds

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  In a skillet, heat the oil and saute the onions and garlic.

Add the beef and cook.  Stir in the ketchup, bbq sauce, molasses, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce.  Season with the salt and pepper.

Simmer for about 15 minutes.  Remove from the stove and transfer to a casserole dish and sprinkle with the cheese.

Separate the dough and place on top of the cheese. Brush the rolls with some melted butter and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.  Bake uncovered until the rolls are golden brown, about 25 minutes.


Besides being incredibly easy, I love how they're not messy like traditional sloppy joes.  Even with just the BF and I, these didn't last long.  They even taste great reheated the next day.



Stay classy my friends,
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment