Thursday, December 26, 2013

Tasty Thursday

I have a slight obsession with Where's Waldo.  Every time I see a Where's Waldo book, my face lights up.  I've loved Waldo since childhood.  It's something about finding a man in a striped sweater and his friends that get me all excited...

For Christmas yesterday, the BF got me a compilation book of all the Where's Waldo puzzles.

Best. Christmas. Ever.

I've only had the chance to complete one puzzle and I've come to this conclusion.  There's no way a nine year old can do them.  Ain't no way.  After a couple of minutes, my brain was hurting and it felt like I was growing cataracts or something on my eyes, they were so sore.

Anyway, this Christmas I tried out two recipes that are definite keepers.  One's an appetizer type and the other's a boozy type.

I made Killer Artichoke Bread from The Girl Who Ate Everything.  Let me start off by saying that it really was killer.  You can't go wrong with bread, cheese and butter.  And artichokes are vegetables.  Right?  So it can't be THAT bad for you.

Killer Artichoke Bread
adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything

-1/4 c butter
-big spoonful of minced garlic
-14 oz jar of marinated artichoke hearts, well drained and chopped
-about a cup of shredded Mozzarella
-about half a cup of shredded pepper jack
-about half a cup of grated Parmesan
-1/2 c sour cream
-1 loaf of Italian bread, sliced lengthwise
-salt and pepper, to taste

Melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds.  Add the chopped artichoke, cheeses and sour cream.  Stir until everything is combined and remove from heat.

Spoon the artichoke/cheese mixture onto the bread.  Broil for about 4-7 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starts to brown.

Slice into pieces and you got yourself some cheesy artichokey goodness.


And since you've wrecked your diet by eating this bread, you might as well make yourself a boozy milkshake later.

This peppermint milkshake requires three must have ingredients:  peppermint schnapps, vanilla ice cream and whole milk.  Whole milk!  What!?  I know.  But the thick milk helps it have that creamy thickness that alot of milkshakes have.  And it's still thin enough you can drink through a straw without having a brain aneurysm.  And besides, at this point you've already gone past the point of no return with your calorie intake, so what the heck.  Indulge.

Peppermint Cocktail Milkshake
-1 c whole milk
-2 c vanilla ice cream
-3 oz peppermint schnapps

Blend everything together.  If you have some candy canes laying around, crush 'em up and add those too!  I don't want to say this makes two servings because, honestly, I could drink the whole darn thing, so enough for two glasses it makes instead.  And if you're feeling really fancy, add whipped cream on the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment