Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tasty Thursday

Do you like mahi mahi?

Do you like tacos?  Or better yet, do you like double decker tacos?

Do you like Rachael Ray?

Well, if you've said yes to any of those, I have the recipe for you!  Mahi mahi tacos!

Ever since that fateful day I had a fresh fish taco on the side of the road in Maui (as sketchy as this roadside eatery was, the food was delicious).  I've been hooked on fish tacos since and I've unsuccessfully attempted to create many variations.

This particular recipe scored some serious points.  I liked it.  The BF liked it.  The dog and cat even liked them.  Well, to their credit, they'd eat anything, but regardless, win.  The BF even mentioned that I should share the recipe on the blog.  That's the first time he's said that, so I have to oblige.

For me, what made this was the black bean/chutney mix used in between the taco shells.  OMG.  I've never had anything like it and I could've seriously eaten it by itself with some chips.  And it helps when it's an easy recipe.

Now, don't let the long list of ingredients and instructions scare you.  Rachael's recipe is actually pretty easy and, yes, it did only take me 30 minutes, if not less.

The recipe calls for mango chutney, which I found in the Indian food section of the grocery.  I imagine you could also use other types of fish besides mahi mahi.  And as for myself, I actually eyeballed alot of the quantities of the ingredients.  So, adjust according to your taste!


Rachael Ray's My-oh-Mahi! That's a Good Fish Taco  

1/4 c canola oil
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped -- I just used a couple spoonfuls of jarred diced jalapenos
1 red onion, 1/4 of it finely chopped and the remainder thinly sliced -- I did it vice versa
1 garlic clove, minced or grated -- I eyeballed it with already minced garlic
15 oz can of black beans, drained
1 tsp ground cumin
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 c mango chutney
2 limes -- I used squirts of concentrated lime juice
2 tbsp hot sauce
3 tbsp honey
a handful of fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 head of red cabbage, shredded
4 mahi mahi fillets
1 tbsp grill seasoning -- I used a combo of my own seasonings and added some chipotle chili powder
8 each of hard shell tacos and soft shells
sour cream or whatever toppings you want

Heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat and add the jalapeno, chopped red onion, and garlic.  Cook for 3-4 minutes, then add the beans and cumin and mash together.  Season the beans with salt and pepper and fold in the chutney.  Reduce the heat to low, stirring now and then to keep from burning.  If the beans dry out, add a splash of water.

Zest one of the limes and set aside.  Combine the juice of both limes, hot sauce, honey, 2 tablespoons of the oil, salt and pepper with the sliced onion, cilantro and shredded cabbage.  Toss it all to combine.

Heat a grill or preheat the broiler.  Season the fish with the remaining oil, 2 teaspoons of lime zest, and the grill seasoning.  Cook the fish until cooked through, turning once.

Glue the hard shells to the soft shell tacos with a couple spoonfuls of the mashed black beans.  Fill your tacos with some flaked fish and top with the cabbage slaw and whatever else your tummy desires.


No comments:

Post a Comment